In short, it’s only a label for a certain experience of life.
But the role that such a label plays:
- To offer additional support to those who struggle to lead healthy lives and experience well-being due to emotional and/or psychological intensity.
- Naming emotional states also helps to identify and recognize them. By doing this, I can choose to manage myself accordingly, and reduce the harm these states may cause to my well-being.
- Illuminates the fact that I am not alone in the patterns and cycles I experience, and sheds light on them.
- Helps me to be gentle on myself.
- Helps others to understand me.
I guess one could resent the word “illness”. It’s more like an emotional / psychological reality I find myself in, having led the life I have led, with the personality I have. Maybe more later.